TRANSPORTATION GOVERNANCE AND FUNDING TASK FORCE
Wednesday, August 16, 2017 • 1:00 p.m. • Room 210 - State Senate Building
1. Opening Business
· Call to order
· Approval of July 13, 2017, meeting minutes
2. Point of the Mountain Development Commission Update
The task force will receive an update on the Point of the Mountain Development Commission and discuss areas for potential collaboration.
· Rep. Lowry Snow, Co-chair, Point of the Mountain Development Commission
3. Overview of Current Constitutional and Statutory Restrictions on Transportation Funding in Utah
The task force will receive a presentation from the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) on the current structure of transportation funding, as well as the process that would be required to make any changes to the current structure.
· Linda Hull, Director of Policy and Legislative Services, UDOT
4. Presentations from Outside Experts
The presenters will provide their perspectives on transportation-related issues such as governance structures, funding methods, land use and economic development policies, and public transportation.
a) The Future of Transportation Funding/Financing and Management
· Marc Scribner, Senior Fellow, Competitive Enterprise Institute
Marc Scribner is a senior fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, which he joined in 2008. He focuses on transportation, land use, and urban growth policy issues. These include infrastructure investment and operations, transportation safety and security, risk and regulation, privatization and public finance, urban redevelopment and property rights, and emerging transportation technologies such as automated road vehicles.
b) Value Capture
· Rep. Joe C. Pickett, Chairman, Texas House Environmental Regulation Committee
· Julie DeHoyos, Innovative Financing Coordinator, Texas Department of Transportation
The task force will receive a presentation on the process of creating enabling legislation and implementing value capture policies for transportation projects in Texas.
5. Overview of Current Scoring and Prioritization Process for Programming State Transportation Projects in Utah
The task force will receive a presentation from UDOT on the current process used by the Transportation Commission to prioritize UDOT projects for programming.
· Shane Marshall, Deputy Director, UDOT
6. Working Group Updates
The leaders of the three task force working groups will provide updates on their progress to the rest of the task force.
· Rep. Kay Christofferson – Funding Working Group
· Rep. Mike Schultz – Economic Development and Land Use Working Group
· Sen. Wayne Harper – Governance and Transit Working Group
7. Committee Concluding Business – Adjourn
· Discussion on task force working groups
· Future meeting schedules/agendas