To: Francis Gibson, Lowry Snow, Patrice Arent, Richard Cunningham, Steve Eliason, Greg Hughes, Brad Last, David Lifferth, Daniel McCay, Carol Moss, Jim Nielson, Val Peterson, Marie Poulson, Kraig Powell, Dean Sanpei, Keven John Stratton,
Subject: HB 96 - Utah School Readiness Initiative
Date: Wed Feb 05 20:26:12 MST 2014
Dear Members of the House Education Standing Committee,
First, thank you for sponsoring this legislation, Representative Hughes!
I would ask each of you to PLEASE support HB 96 - Utah School Readiness Initiative in the House Education Committee tomorrow. My grandson has benefitted from this type of program and I gratefully urge your support. Here are a few of the reasons:
1) High quality preschool has been closing the achievement gap and the results persist past 3rd grade and have been evident for several successive cohorts of children.
2) High quality preschool for economically disadvantaged children has been proven to increase high school graduation, increase earnings and self-sufficiency, reduce crime and welfare dependency.
3) When low income children are on grade level, it benefits all children.
4) HB96 includes competitive grant funding that will increase the quality of early education programs and improve outcomes.
5) HB96 targets funding for at-risk children, but all children who attend high quality early childhood programs benefit.
6) If you have or have had children in preschool, share how it has benefited your child's development.
Executive Board Member
Voices for Utah Childrens