To: Luz Escamilla, Jim Dabakis, Gene Davis, Jani Iwamoto, Karen Mayne, Wayne Harper, Deidre Henderson, Brian Shiozawa, Wayne Niederhauser, Lincoln Fillmore, Howard Stephenson, Daniel Thatcher, Mark Madsen, Al Jackson, Margaret Dayton, Curt Bramble, Peter Knudson, Ann Millner, Allen Christensen, Scott Jenkins, Jerry Stevenson, Stuart Adams, Todd Weiler, Ralph Okerlund, Lyle Hillyard, Kevin Van Tassell, David Hinkins, Evan Vickers, Steve Urquhart, David Lifferth, Jack Draxler, Edward Redd, Curt Webb, Jacob Anderegg, Justin Fawson, Gage Froerer, Jeremy Peterson, Dixon Pitcher, Brad Dee, Mike Schultz, Paul Ray, Curtis Oda, Brad Wilson, Steve Handy, Stewart Barlow, Timothy D. Hawkes, Raymond Ward, Becky Edwards, Doug Sagers, Susan Duckworth, Sandra Hollins, Joel Briscoe, Angela Romero, Mike Kennedy, Brian King, Lee Perry, Fred Cox, Sophia DiCaro, LaVar Christensen, Craig Hall, Johnny Anderson, Mark A. Wheatley, Patrice Arent, Carol Moss, Eric Hutchings, Jim Dunnigan, Lynn Hemingway, dmccay, Kim Coleman, Earl Tanner, Bruce Cutler, Steve Eliason, Marie Poulson, Ken Ivory, Keven John Stratton, Robert Spendlove, Richard Cunningham, Greg Hughes, John Knotwell, Melvin Brown, Kraig Powell, Scott H. Chew, Kay Christofferson, Brian Greene, Derrin Owens, Val Peterson, bdaw, Keith Grover, Jon Stanard, Dean Sanpei, Norm Thurston, Francis Gibson, Michael McKell, Marc Roberts, Merrill Nelson, Brad King, Kay Mciff, Brad Last, John Westwood, mnoel, visnow, Don Ipson,
Subject: Bill SB 0100 - Sponsor Sen Lyle Hillyard
Date: Sun Feb 14 01:50:09 MST 2016
Dear Senator and/or Representative,
The purpose of this e-mail is to express my strong support for Senator Hillyard's bill (SB 0100) that will limit a municipal government's revenue from traffic citations to 25% of the overall budget. My position is based on my personal observations of the Mantua City police. I pass by their location 10 times each week as I commute to Logan, and have done so for the last 5 years. Please consider the following:
- I have never observed the Mantua police assisting a motorist. Not to say they have never assisted anyone, but I have never observed it.
- I have noticed that on days when there is a lot of snow (bad roads), the Mantua police are not in their usual place. They must take snow days off or are elsewhere, but assisting motorists or being ready to assist in the event of an accident appears to not be of high interest.
- My personal conclusion is that the purpose of the Mantua police is to raise tax revenues for the city (of 700), nothing more. I believe this to be inappropriate.
- I don't believe a small town of 700 needs 3 tax collectors in patrol cars and a Justice of the Peace to demand payment.
- They report to the media that they have arrested X number of drunk drivers. Well, when thousands of tickets are written, they are bound to stumble on to a few impaired drivers.
- Each day I pass approximately 3 Utah Highway Patrol officers in Sardine Canyon. The officers do a tremendous job and that highway is well patrolled.
- I find it unconscionable the way the Mantua citizens have publicly berated Senator Hillyard over this issue.
In conclusion, I respectfully request that SB 0100 be passed with your support.