To: John Knotwell, Scott Sandall, David Lifferth, Jack Draxler, Edward Redd, Curt Webb, Jacob Anderegg, Justin Fawson, Gage Froerer, Jeremy Peterson, Dixon Pitcher, Brad Dee, Mike Schultz, Paul Ray, Curtis Oda, Brad Wilson, Steve Handy, Stewart Barlow, Timothy D. Hawkes, Raymond Ward, Becky Edwards, Doug Sagers, Susan Duckworth, Sandra Hollins, Rebecca Houck, Joel Briscoe, Angela Romero, Mike Kennedy, Brian King, Lee Perry, Fred Cox, Sophia DiCaro, LaVar Christensen, Craig Hall, Johnny Anderson, Mark A. Wheatley, Patrice Arent, Carol Moss, Eric Hutchings, Jim Dunnigan, Lynn Hemingway, Daniel McCay, Kim Coleman, Earl Tanner, Bruce Cutler, Steve Eliason, Marie Poulson, Ken Ivory, Keven John Stratton, Robert Spendlove, Richard Cunningham, Greg Hughes, Melvin Brown, Kraig Powell, Scott H. Chew, Kay Christofferson, Brian Greene, Derrin Owens, Val Peterson, Bradley Daw, Keith Grover, Jon Stanard, Dean Sanpei, Norm Thurston, Francis Gibson, Michael McKell, Marc Roberts, Merrill Nelson, Brad King, Kay Mciff, Brad Last, John Westwood, mnoel, Lowry Snow, Don Ipson,
Subject: DON'T PASS SB 246
Date: Tue Mar 08 20:39:39 MST 2016
Dear Utah House Members:
Please read the Op Ed in the Deseret News from Monday, March 7, 2016.
Below are multiple reasons to oppose SB246
1. It is an unethical money laundering scheme.
2. The Utah House has no business subsidizing a coal industry that is rapidly going bankrupt.
3. So often we hear that the free market should decide who our energy winners and losers are. This is exactly the opposite of the free market.
4. Unveiling this bill at the last minute in the session was a deliberate strategy to avoid proper public involvement in the process. When citizens see the legislature operate this way it deepens the cynicism they feel about whether or not they are really being represented on Capitol Hill.
5. California politicians and citizens will fight this to the bitter end, making the success of the scheme extremely unlikely. Why are we even sending money to California?
6. It was designed to enrich the very person that crafted it, Jeff Holt, making it one of the most unethical bills the legislature has ever seen.
7. I am a transplant to Utah. I love it here, the outdoors and my job. And even as an ardent liberal, I appreciate and respect the fiscal conservatism of this state. THIS IS THE OPPOSITE OF FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY. Please don't use our tax money for this.
1109 Cliffside Drive
Logan, UT 84321-4904