To: Lowry Snow, Patrice Arent, Richard Cunningham, Greg Hughes, Marie Poulson, Jim Nielson, David Lifferth,
Subject: URGENT: NO TO COMMON CORE! Immediate Action Needed Tonight on HB 96...
Date: Thu Feb 06 22:50:07 MST 2014
I OPPOSE HB 96. Obama does not get to tell me how to educate my children!
The bill is HB 96 and is sponsored by Rep. Greg Hughes. The bill is titled, 'Utah School Readiness Initiative'.
Reasons to Oppose:
1) The bill calls for schools to collect longitudinal data on children which fits perfectly into the Common Core P20W database Utah has created. (P20W is preschool through grade 20 and into the workforce for tracking everyone)
84 (4) "Eligible LEA" means an LEA that has a data system capacity to collect
85 longitudinal academic outcome data, including special education use by student, by identifying
86 each student with a statewide unique student identifier.
2) I do not support any preschool bills on a matter of principle since we operate under a compulsory education system. Establishing a preschool program for one class (disadvantaged children) will inevitably lead to mandates for other children and additional funding needs.
3) Head Start, the comprehensive preschool program started in 1965, went 45 years and spent $166 billion and was proven to be a complete failure. Let's not repeat history.
4) The Obama administration's plan is to start educating children at birth.
“The Obama administration has proposed new investments that will establish a continuum of high-quality early learning for children beginning at birth and continuing to age five.”
5) The feds are incentivizing data collection and testing for small children and invasive home visits.
6) The Institute of Marriage and Family has shown that early education does NOT benefit children and they should actually begin school later rather than earlier.
Please immediately email these committee members and ask them to Oppose HB 96.
Utah Field Coordinator
office (801) 341-8029