Sen. Mike Lee has hired the national political director of the tea party umbrella group FreedomWorks to head up part of the Utah Republican's re-election campaign for 2016. Russ Walker will serve as national political director for Lee's campaign. FreedomWorks officials said Walker's departure had nothing to do with staff shakeups that have taken place with the group. "Mike Lee's re-election in 2016, I can't see a higher priority for us [than that]," said Adam Brandon, FreedomWorks' executive vice president. "If Russ went any place else I'd be pissed off. But going there, that's the place where he needs to be." [Politico]
Topping the news: Some general authorities of the LDS Church will offer their speeches at the October general conference in their own native tongue for the first time. [Trib]
A federal judge refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by the group Citizens for Two Voices to undo a deal between The Salt Lake Tribune's owners and the Deseret News, allowing the case to proceed to the evidentiary phase. [Trib] [DNews] [Fox13]
-> Mitt Romney's former campaign team will get back together tonight for a reunion in Washington but advisers are tamping down any expectation the band is back together for another national tour. [AP]
-> Two ballistic missile rockets motors were detonated by the Air Force causing a boom that was heard in Tooele and Davis counties. [Trib]
Tweet of the day: From @jpetersoninutah: "@CimCity Permission to Blow up Missles = Utah is the Coolest Place Ever. #utpol #utleg #testosterone #wherecanibuytickets"
From @FoxandPig: "Which speech is #ISIS more interested in tomorrow? The new #iPhone6 announcement or the #Obama strategy to defeat them? #utleg #utpol"
Happy Birthday: To SL Co.'s Rob Jeppsen and former SLC Mayor Rocky Anderson.
Welcome: To the U.'s Hinckley Institute of Politics interns and students in Rick Pike's Comm 1610 class where Cornflakes is required reading.
In other news: Nearly half of Utahns say the state's education system needs some minor changes but not a major overhaul, according to a new poll. [UtahPolicy]
-> The first of three regional parks that will be developed through a $47 million bond approved in 2012 by Salt Lake County voters is beginning to take shape in West Valley City and Kearns. [Trib]
-> The Department of Health and Human Services has picked Take Care Utah to receive a grant of $485,000 to continue to help Utah residents, free of charge, seek health insurance coverage. [Trib]
-> Pat Bagley offers his take on what society would be if the tea party had been in charge. [Trib]
-> Rep. Jason Chaffetz says President Barack Obama should have dealt with the rising threat of ISIS a year ago and needs to show some presidential leadership. [ABC4]
-> According to a new UtahPolicy.com poll, Utahns prefer that police have access to military weapons, but are split on whether they should become more militarized in general. [Trib]
-> Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker invites residents to meet with him one-on-one to discuss city-related issues. These meetings will take place Wednesday, Sept. 17. [DNews]
-> Utah's National Guard soldiers have returned from Afghanistan after helping evacuate wounded soldiers out of combat zones. [Trib]
Nationally: After an unarmed African American teenage boy was shot and killed by a police officer, the Ferguson City Council say that it will create a citizen review board in an effort to provide better direction for the Police Department. [NYTimes]
-> According to a Washington Post-ABC News poll, Americans approve of airstrikes in Iraq and Syria. [WaPost]
-> U.S. banks will have to meet new requirements set in place by the Federal Reserve that would impose a capital surcharge requiring the largest banks to keep fatter cushions in order to guard against possible losses. [WSJ]
-> A public hearing will be held by a special committee that was created to look into the 2012 terrorist attacks in Benghazi, Libya. [Examiner]
Where are they?
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz attends a fundraising breakfast, a GOP conference, a delegation meeting, and sits down with Joe Jensen, Utah's principal of the year. Chaffetz later meets with Utah Credit Unions, and ends his evening at the Romney-Ryan Reunion fundraiser for Barbara Comstock.
- Rep. Chris Stewart hits the weekly GOP Conference meeting, speaks at a Natural Resources Committee hearing on behalf of his Endangered Species Improvement Act, and has lunch with Gov. Gary Herbert and other members of the Utah Delegation. Later he meets with the American Academy of Dermatology, Utah Credit Unions and the Utah Farmers Union.
- Gov. Gary Herbert has breakfast with interns from the Hinckley Institute of Politics in Washington, heads to a lunch meeting with the delegation, meets with Rep. Paul Ryan, and later visits with Secretary Sylvia Burwell to discuss Healthy Utah, followed by a media access conference call.
- Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox attends the inauguration of the new president of Brigham Young University, Kevin J. Worthen, and speaks at Utah State University.
- SL Co. Mayor Ben McAdams speaks at the Salt Lake County Library management meeting, is present for the Utah Refugee Center board meetings, and the Economic Development Corporation of Utah meeting. He later attends a County Council meeting and hearing, and makes an appearance at the grand opening of the Utah Auto Auction and Linea Legal Para Hispanos. He ends his day speaking to the Emigration Canyon Road Improvement Committee.
- SLC Mayor Ralph Becker meets with the Department Directors to view a presentation by Dr. Pam Perlich. He later receives an update from the Utah Professional Archaeological Council, meets with reporters, and visits Westminster College to meet with Chinese visitors brought over by the Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy.
- President Barack Obama meets with Secretary of State John Kerry and congressional leaders.
Got a tip? A birthday, wedding or anniversary to announce? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you haven't already, sign up for our weekday email and get this sent directly to your inbox. [Trib]
-- Thomas Burr and Mallory Jesperson
Twitter.com/thomaswburr and Twitter.com/JespersonM