Republicans are angry that President Barack Obama acted to swap five Talaban prisoners from Guantanamo Bay for an American POW, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, without the legally required 30 days notice, and at least one senator says if it happens again, he'll support impeachment. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., is worried Obama may try to shut down the military prison camp without congressional approval. "There will be people on our side calling for his impeachment if he did that," Graham said. [TheHill]
Topping the news: Indicted businessman Jeremy Johnson says that he laundered tens of thousands of dollars to Mike Lee's 2010 Senate campaign at the request of John Swallow, according to a new court filing. [Trib]
-> Federal and state agents say they did not mistreat Mark Shurtleff's family when they executed a warrant to search his home; Shurtleff, an attorney and a police consultant disagree and feel the force agents used was unnecessary. [Trib]
-> In an episode of TribTalk, The Tribune's online interview show, Shurtleff said he expects to be charged -- and cleared -- and is disappointed in Swallow. [Trib]
-> Also, a February warrant was unsealed in 3rd District Court regarding the Google email account of an employee who worked for both Shurtleff and Swallow. [DNews]
Tweet of the day: From @KenJennings: "The gov't can't stop you from getting Charlton Heston stamps & the Harvey Milk stamps & putting them on letters together w little hearts."
Happy Birthday: To Taylorsville City Councilman Ernest Burgess.
In other news: The state of Utah is planning to appeal a federal judge's ruling that it must treat all same-sex marriages performed in the state the same as other marriages. [Trib]
-> First Lady Michelle Obama praised efforts spearheaded by Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker to reduce the number of homeless veterans in the community. [Trib]
-> Check out Pat Bagley's cartoon on "groovy" fossil fuels and politicians who literally blow smoke. [Trib]
-> A local film called "Entitled to Life" chronicles the struggles some Utahns face without Medicaid expansion. [Trib]
-> Gov. Gary Herbert hosted an energy summit to start a conversation on Utah's climate and energy usage. [DNews] [KUTV]
Nationally: Republican incumbent Sen. Thad Cochran, R-Miss., and Chris McDaniel, a tea party candidate, may face a runoff election to determine which candidate moves on after a close call at the polls. [WaPost] [WSJ] [Politico]
-> The Supreme Court will not issue a stay on same-sex marriage in Oregon, despite the requests from the National Organization for Marriage. [NYTimes] [WaPost] [LATimes]
-> Videos showing Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl, the recently recovered POW, in poor health allegedly prompted the deal that secured his release. [WSJ]
-> Speaker John Boehner told President Barack Obama in a letter that he wants to see changes made in veterans hospitals in the aftermath of Eric Shinseki's resignation. [NYTimes]
Where are they?
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz takes part in district appointments and visits Hill Air Force Base.
- Gov. Gary Herbert participates in a roundtable on energy, attends a business and regulatory sub-Cabinet meeting, speaks with Derek Miller and discusses judicial deliberations. Herbert also meets with Juan Palma and later with Tami Pyfer.
- Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox goes to the Governor's Rural Partnership Board meeting.
- SL Co. Mayor Ben McAdams attends a press conference with UDOT about safety and transportation infrastructure, works with the Sports Commission Board, heads to the Council of Governments meeting and speaks with Deputy Mayor Nichole Dunn.
- President Barack Obama participates in the European Council G-7 meeting about the global economy, energy and climate in Belgium, speaks with the prime minister of the United Kingdom and travels to France for dinner with President François Hollande.
Got a tip? A birthday, wedding or anniversary to announce? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you haven't already, sign up for our weekday email and get this sent directly to your inbox. [Trib]
-- Thomas Burr and Courtney Tanner
Twitter.com/thomaswburr and Twitter.com/CourtneyLTanner