Hillary Clinton shouldn't run for president. Why? A Democratic consultant gives some reasons, arguing mainly that she would be a kingmaker if she doesn't try and she doesn't need the headache that a presidential run would bring. Also, she would inherit a mess. [WaPost]
Topping the news: Veteran advocates are speaking out against Sen. Orrin Hatch's politically charged comments on Memorial Day. [Trib]
-> The Salt Lake City Council chose not to boycott the Days of '47 parade, despite its disapproval of the parade's fundraisers for not allowing Mormons Building Bridges to have a float in the event. [Trib]
-> Gov. Gary Herbert picked Rep. Jason Chaffetz's top aide Justin Harding as his new chief of staff. [Trib] [DNews] [KUTV]
Tweet of the day: From @KPete801: "I was there when Utah adopted Jell-o as its official snack food. So was Bill Cosby. #historicmomentinutleg?"
In other news: Salt Lake City Council members are hoping for a federal grant to extend the Sugarhouse Streetcar line to Highland Drive. [Trib]
-> Arkansas GOP Sen. David J. Sanders says the state's expansion of Medicaid through a private option is succeeding and that Utahns know states are better at leading than Washington. [DNews]
-> The state liquor commission plans to enforce stricter rules for community events that serve alcohol, such as Snowbird's Oktoberfest. [Trib] [DNews] [Fox13]
-> The Ordain Women group pushing for admittance into the all-male priesthood of the LDS Church has some new tactics in mind. [Trib]
-> Low water levels at Lake Powell threaten future power generation in the area. [KUTV]
Nationally: President Barack Obama announced a plan to withdraw troops from Afghanistan by 2016, with gradual decreases inbetween. [NYTimes] [WaPost] [WSJ] [LATimes]
-> The father of one of the victims of the Santa Barbara, Calif., shooting said in an interview directed at members of Congress that "getting a call from a politician doesn't impress me." He implored for them to act on gun control measures. [WaPost]
-> Cliven Bundy, the Nevada rancher famous for his standoff with the Bureau of Land Management, is now a member of the Independent American Party, having left the Republican Party. [WaPost] [Politico]
-> Congress discussed possible recalls to a school lunch nutrition plan that Michelle Obama created in 2010; she called their talk "unacceptable." [WaPost] [Politico]
Where are they?
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz returns to Washington, calls Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin, votes in the evening and attends an NRCC Young Guns dinner.
- Gov. Gary Herbert hits an Education Excellence meeting and a China business symposium, meets with Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox, interviews student Regent nominees and ends his day with a briefing on the Energy Development Summit.
- Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox also goes to the Education Excellence meeting.
- SL Co. Mayor Ben McAdams speaks with various staff members from the county and unveils his inclusion campaign at a press conference.
- President Barack Obama travels to New York to give a commencement address at the United States Military Academy at West Point and returns back to the White House where he ends his day with a meeting with Secretary of the Treasury Jacob Lew.
-- Thomas Burr and Courtney Tanner
Twitter.com/thomaswburr and Twitter.com/CourtneyLTanner