To: Francis Gibson, Lowry Snow, Patrice Arent, Richard Cunningham, Steve Eliason, Greg Hughes, Brad Last, David Lifferth, Daniel McCay, Carol Moss, Jim Nielson, Val Peterson, Marie Poulson, Kraig Powell, Dean Sanpei, Keven John Stratton,
Subject: The bill is HB 96 sponsored by Rep. Greg Hughes titled Utah School Readiness Initiative. It ’s a bill to push preschool. Immediate things of note:,, : http://le.utah..gov/~2014/bills/static/HB0096.html,,
Date: Thu Feb 06 03:03:19 MST 2014
Dear Decision Maker,
Please vote no on HB 96.
Reasons to Oppose:
84 (4) "Eligible LEA" means an LEA that has a data system capacity to collect
&nbs p; 85 longitudinal academic outcome data, including special education use by student, by identifying
86 each student with a statewide unique student identifier.
2) I totally oppose all preschool bills on a matter of principle since we operate under a compulsory education system. Establishing a preschool program for one class (disadvantaged children) will inevitably lead to mandates for other children and additional funding needs.
3) Head Start, the comprehensive preschool program started in 1965, went 45 years and spent $166 billion and was proven a complete failure. Lets not repeat history.
4) The Obama administration plan is to start educating children at birth. This is the first step on that path.
“The Obama administration has proposed new investments that will establish a continuum of high-quality early learning for children beginning at birth and continuing to age five.”
5) The feds are incentivizing data collection and testing for small children and invasive home visits.
6) The Institute of Marriage and Family has shown that early education does NOT benefit children and they should actually begin school later rather than earlier.http://www.moorefoundation.com/article/48/about-moore-home-schooling/moore-foundation/articles/when-education-becomes-abuse
Rosemarie Russell 435-674-5739 Confidentiality Note: This email transmission and any documents, files or previous email messages attached to it are intended solely for the individual or individuals to which it is specifically addressed. The transmission may contain confidential information that is legally privileged. If the recipient of this email is not the intended recipient, do not read, copy or distribute it or any of the information it contains. Please delete it immediately and notify us by return email or telephone (435) 674-5739.