To: Dean Sanpei, Ken Ivory, Eric Hutchings, Brian King, John G. Mathis, Curtis Oda, Lee Perry, Val Peterson, Paul Ray, Larry Wiley,
Date: Fri Mar 07 21:38:26 MST 2014
Dear Member of the House Rules Committee:
As the primary medical oncologist who cares for lung cancer patients at the Huntsman Cancer Institute, I ask that you support the Surgeon General’s Warning regarding RADON by supporting 2SB109, Radon Awareness Campaign. Radon is the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the USA and it is preventable. Most states with a probability of excess radon levels have laws to protect their citizenship from this scourge, but Utah has an overall lack of awareness of this cancer cause.
A few radon facts:
1. The Surgeon General has identified radon as a preventable cause of lung cancer and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends testing for all houses.
2. Approximately 30% of houses in Utah have levels deemed dangerous by the EPA.
3. Radon is a Class 1 Carcinogen
4. Utah is deemed intermediate to high risk for radon.
5. Testing is inexpensive and saves lives, but there is a relative lack of radon awareness in Utah.
I strongly request your support of 2SB109 – Radon Awareness Campaign. This bill will improve your constituents’ knowledge about radon and protect their health by eliminating their exposure to radon gas. As you know, the bill allows for the development and launch of a radon education and awareness campaign targeting all Utahns.
Wallace Akerley, MD
Sr Director of Community Oncology Research
Professor of Medicine
Huntsman Cancer Institute
2000 Circle of Hope, Room 2169
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
T: 801-585-5986 F: 801-585-0159