UTIC Executive Committee
|Nathan Rafferty, UTIC President, Ski Utah
Neil Wilkinson, UTIC Vice President, Temple Square Hospitality
Barbara Riddle, UTIC Sec'y-Treasurer, Davis Area CVB
Marian DeLay, UTIC Past President, Moab Area Travel Council
Scott Beck, Visit Salt Lake
Bill Malone, Park City Chamber/Bureau
Joel Racker, Utah Valley CVB
Rob Slettom, Identity Properties
UTIC Board of Directors
|Dennis Copyak, Le Bus
Jordan Garn, Utah Hotel & Lodging Assn.
Tom Guinney, Gastronomy, Inc.
Joan Hammer, Box Elder County Tourism
Nancy McLaughlin, Bed & Breakfasts Inns of Utah
Brian Merrill, Utah Guides & Outfitters
Roxie Sherwin, St. George Area Convention & Tourism Office
Maria Twitchell, Cedar City-Brian Head Tourism Bureau
Nan Anderson, Executive Director
Des Barker, UTIC Lobbyist
Nathan at GRPB/UOT meeting in Richfield
UTIC's table at the Governor's Gala
FROM THE DIRECTOR: Nan Anderson
|As we enter fall and end a busy summer season, our thoughts turn to winter tourism product - skiing the "Greatest Snow on Earth"® and to the upcoming 2014 Legislative session. Final figures on tourism tax revenue in the state of Utah for 2012 have been released by the Utah State Tax Commission; the Utah Office of Tourism has also released overall visitation and tourism spending -- and it's great news!
- $7.4 BILLION in spending by tourists in Utah, up 7.8% over 2011 (DK Shifflet report)
State portion = $571 million
- Total direct state and local taxes generated by traveler spending was $960 Million (BEBR estimate)
Local portion = $389 million
- Skier days in 2012-2013 season were up 5.4% over the 2011-2012 season (Ski Utah)
- National Park visitation in Utah increased 4% in 2012 vs. 2011 (National Park Service)
- Transient Room Tax is up 12.3% (State Tax Commission)
- TRCC - Restaurant Tax is up 6% (State Tax Commission)
- Resort Communities Tax is up 6.7% (State Tax Commission)
- Municipality TRT is up 14.2% (State Tax Commission)
- Tourism employment in Utah is now 129,088 (BEBR estimate)
- 1st Class (SL County) TRT is up 5.8%(State Tax Commission)
UTIC has completed our annual "State of the Tourism Industry" white paper to provide statistics and information on tourism's contribution to the Utah economy. The updated version has the latest tourism facts & figures - we hope you will use this in meetings with elected officials & legislators, boards and industry presentations. Thanks to Struck for their help in producing the document! Download the latest version of it on the
Lt. Governor Greg Bell
We thank Lt. Governor Greg Bell for his support of Utah tourism and particularly for his support of rural tourism issues. We will miss his wise approach to governance and wish him the very best in his next chapter!
The Governor's Rural Partnership Board and the Utah Office of Tourism Board recently held a joint meeting in Richfield, and both Governor Herbert and Lt. Governor Greg Bell attended and heard about Utah tourism efforts from UOT Managing Director, Vicki Varela. Reports were also provided by Brad Peterson, new Director of the Utah Office of Outdoor Recreation, and other rural business projects. We look forward to many more inclusive and collaborative efforts.