February 11, 1998
The Business, Labor, and Economic Development Committee reports a favorable recommendation on S.B. 144, CHANGES REGARDING EXISTING HAZARDOUS WASTE FACILITIES, by Senator L. Blackham, with the following amendments:
1. Page 1, Line 9: After "FACILITIES" and before "." insert "; AND INCREASING THE DISPOSAL FEE FOR RADIOACTIVE WASTE"
2. Page 1, Line 12: After Line 12 insert:
" 19-3-106, as last amended by Chapter 324, Laws of Utah 1995"
3. Page 2, Line 22: Delete "a hazardous waste facility" and insert "any existing hazardous waste land disposal facility"
4. Page 3, Line 5: After Line 5 insert:
"Section 2. Section 19-3-106 is amended to read:
19-3-106 . Fee for commercial radioactive waste disposal or treatment.
(1) An owner or operator of any commercial radioactive waste treatment or disposal facility that primarily receives waste generated by off-site sources not owned, controlled, or operated by the facility or site owner or operator that is subject to the requirements of this chapter shall collect from the generator of the waste:
(a) on and after July 1, 1992, through June 30, 1993, a fee of $2.00 per ton or fraction of a ton on all radioactive waste received at the facility or site for disposal or treatment;
(b) on and after July 1, 1993, through June 30, 1994, a fee of $2.25
per ton or fraction of a ton on all radioactive waste received at the facility or site for disposal or treatment;
(c) on and after July 1, 1994, a fee of $2.50 per ton or fraction of a ton on all radioactive waste received at the facility or site for disposal or treatment ; and
(d) on and after July 1, 1998, a fee of $7.50 per ton or fraction of a ton on all radioactive waste received at the facility or site for disposal or treatment .
(2) (a) The owner or operator shall pay the fees imposed under this section to the department on or before the 15th day of the month following the month in which the fee accrued.
(b) The department shall deposit all fees received under this section into the restricted account created in Section 19-1-108 .
(c) The owner or operator shall submit to the department with the payment of the fee under this subsection a completed form as prescribed by the department that provides information the department requires to verify the amount of waste received and the fee amount for which the owner or operator is liable.
(3) The Legislature shall appropriate to the department funds to cover the cost of radioactive waste disposal supervision. "
5. Page 3, Line 6: After "Section" delete "2." and insert "3."
6. Page 5, Line 2: After "at" delete "a" and insert "any existing"
3 SB0144.SC1 scarter/MCP SCA/CA 10:29 AM