STATEWIDE ONLINE EDUCATION PROGRAM AMENDMENTS
House Floor Amendments
Amendment 4 March 6, 2012 2:23 PM
Representative Stephen E. Sandstrom proposes the following amendments:
1. Page 2, Lines 32 through 33 :
. delays the Electronic High School's participation in the Statewide Online Education
33 Program and provides for an audit of the Electronic High School; and }
. specifies the purpose of the Electronic High School;
. provides that the Electronic High School may only offer courses required for high school graduation or that fulfill core curriculum course requirements;
. removes the Electronic High School as an online course provider in the Statewide Online Education Program; and
2. Page 2, Lines 37 through 38 :
37 Other Special Clauses:
This bill provides revisor instructions.
This bill provides effective dates.
3. Page 2, Lines 40 through 41 :
53A-15-1002 (Effective 07/01/12) , as last amended by Laws of Utah 2011, Chapter 419
53A-15-1003 , as enacted by Laws of Utah 2006, Chapter 227
53A-15-1006 (Effective 07/01/12), as last amended by Laws of Utah 2011, Chapter 419
41 53A-15-1202, as enacted by Laws of Utah 2011, Chapter 419
4. Page 2, Lines 49 through 50 :
53A-15-1002.5 Utah Code Annotated 1953
50 53A-15-1008, Utah Code Annotated 1953
5. Page 2, Line 55 through Page 3, Line 61 :
55 53A-15-1217, Utah Code Annotated 1953
Uncodified Material Affected:
57 AMENDS UNCODIFIED MATERIAL:
58 Uncodified Section 20, Laws of Utah 2011, Chapter 419
59 This uncodified section affects Sections 53A-15-1002 (Superseded 07/01/12),
60 53A-15-1002 (Effective 07/01/12), 53A-15-1006 (Superseded 07/01/12), and 53A-15-1006
61 (Effective 07/01/12). }
6. Page 3, Line 63
Senate 3rd Reading Amendments
63 Be it enacted by the Legislature of the state of Utah:
Section 1. Section 53A-15-1002 (Effective 07/01/12) is amended to read:
53A-15-1002 (Effective 07/01/12) . Definitions.
As used in this part:
(1) "Board" means the State Board of Education.
(2) "Electronic High School" means a rigorous program offering grade 9 - 12 level online courses
through the Statewide Online Education Program
and coordinated by the board.
(3) "Eligible student" has the meaning defined in Section
"Home-schooled student" means a student:
attends a home school;
(b) is exempt from school attendance pursuant to Section 53A-11-102 ; and
(c) attends no more than two regularly scheduled classes or courses in a public school per semester.
"Open-entry, open-exit" means:
(a) a method of instructional delivery that allows for flexible scheduling in response to individual student needs or requirements and demonstrated competency when knowledge and skills have been mastered; and
(b) students have the flexibility to begin or end study at any time, progress through course material at their own pace, and demonstrate competency when knowledge and skills have been mastered.
Section 2 . Section 53A-15-1002.5 is enacted to read:
53A-15-1002.5 . Electronic High School created -- Purpose.
The Electronic High School is created:
(1) to provide an opportunity for a student who has failed a course to retake the course and earn course credit;
(2) to allow a student to complete high school graduation requirements and exit high school early;
(3) to allow a student to take a course online so that the student has greater flexibility in scheduling courses during the regular school day; and
(4) to allow a home-schooled or private school student in Utah to take a course within the Utah high school core curriculum.
Section 3. Section 53A-15-1003 is amended to read:
53A-15-1003 . Courses and credit.
(1) The Electronic High School may only offer courses required for high school graduation or that fulfill core curriculum course requirements established by the State Board of Education.
The Electronic High School shall:
(a) offer courses in an open-entry, open-exit format; and
(b) offer core curriculum courses that are in conformance with course standards and objectives established by the board.
Public schools shall:
(a) accept all credits awarded to students by the Electronic High School; and
(b) apply credits awarded for a core curriculum course toward the fulfillment of core curriculum requirements.
Section 4. Section 53A-15-1006 (Effective 07/01/12) is amended to read:
53A-15-1006 (Effective 07/01/12) . Payment for an Electronic High School course.
(1) (a) The Electronic High School shall receive payment for an eligible student's enrollment
in an online course as provided by Sections
(b) For fiscal year 2012-13, a private or home school student whose custodial parent or legal
guardian is a resident of Utah may enroll in an Electronic High School course subject to the availability
of funds appropriated by the Legislature for that purpose.
(2) A student whose custodial parent or legal guardian is not a resident of Utah may enroll
in an Electronic High School course for a fee set by the board, provided that the course can
accommodate additional students.
(1) Electronic High School courses are provided to students who are Utah residents, as defined in Section 53A-2-201 , free of charge.
(2) Nonresident students may enroll in Electronic High School courses for a fee set by the board, provided that the course can accommodate additional students.
Renumber remaining sections accordingly.
7. Page 6, Lines 153 through 160 :
153 The following entities may offer online courses to eligible students through the
154 Statewide Online Education Program:
(1) beginning with the [2012-13] 2013-14 school year, the Electronic High School
156 established in Part 10, Electronic High School Act; }
beginning with the 2011-12 school year, a charter school or district school created
158 exclusively for the purpose of serving students online; and
beginning with the 2011-12 school year, an LEA program, approved by the LEA's
160 governing board, that is created exclusively for the purpose of serving students online.
8. Page 14, Lines 411 through 423 :
411 (2) Online instruction offered pursuant to Subsection (1) is not subject to the
412 requirements of this part.
Section 15. Uncodified Section 20, Laws of Utah 2011, Chapter 419 is amended to
415 Section 20. Effective date.
416 This bill takes effect on July 1, 2011, except the amendments to Sections 53A-15-1002
417 and 53A-15-1006 take effect on July 1,  2013.
418 Section 16. Revisor instructions.
419 The Legislature intends that the Office of Legislative Research and General Counsel, in
420 preparing the Utah Code database for publication, change the effective date in Sections
421 53A-15-1002 (Superseded 07/01/12), 53A-15-1002 (Effective 07/01/12), 53A-15-1006
422 (Superseded 07/01/12), and 53A-15-1006 (Effective 07/01/12) from July 1, 2012 to July 1,
423 2013. }
Section 6. Effective dates.
(1) Except as provided in Subsection (2), this bill takes effect on May 8, 2012.
(2) The amendments to the following sections take effect on July 1, 2012:
(a) Section 53A-15-1002; and
(b) Section 53A-15-1006.
Page 1 of 4
LRGC csteffen csteffen V 03/06/12 10:19a