1. There has NEVER EVER been a runaway interstate convention. (Recent research has found that not one of the 30+ interstate conventions including 1787, has runaway. It has been over 80 years since ANY state legislature has proposed an article v amendment convention that was not limited to a single subject.
2. There HAS, however, been runaway federal deficit spending for the last 80 years! (The total U.S. debt has increased every year but 5 since 1930 (1947-1948, 1951, & 1956-1957). The total debt paid off in those 5 budget surplus years was... $22 billion. (Source: U.S. Department of the Treasury))
3. 74% of Americans (CNN) support a Balanced Budget Amendment and, after jobs, say the debt is the most important issue our Nation faces. (WSJ)
4. Wouldn't a balanced budget amendment be ignored like the rest of the constitution? Ans: No more than the federal government has ignored any of the 27 previous AMENDMENTS such as: Women's right to vote (19th amendment), ending slavery (13th amendment), our right to own a firearm (2nd amendment), right to drink alcohol (21st amendment)...need I list all 27?
5. Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Admiral Mullens (ret) has repeatedly stated that: National Debt is Greatest Threat to Country.
So what is the federal government's current plan to address the "greatest threat" to our sovereignty and prosperity? Never ending deficit spending that by 2020 will mean taxpayers will be spending more in interest on the debt than on defending our country. Only we state legislators can constitutionally stop a runaway federal government from ending the American Dream.
Balanced Budget Amendment Task Force
P.O. Box 1261
Leesburg, VA 20177