To: Sen. Weiler, T.,
Subject: STEM talk with Stan Lockhart
Dear STEM Education Friends:
The year is coming to a close and I want to thank you for your participation in Utah STEM education. Working together, we have made a lot of progress in the last year:
· $10 million from the Legislature for a STEM Action Center.
· The most comprehensive Digital Learning pilot in the country and maybe the world. (68 schools, 130 teachers, 25,000+ students)
· The final stages of a strategic plan to reduce College Math remediation.
· Piloting a new comprehensive Professional Development program for STEM educators.
· STEM competition grants and outreach.
· Greater attention to career pathways. (School Districts, Utah Futures and Utah Technology Council leading the way)
· 700+ people strong email group.
· A STEM Education Investor’s Coalition made up of over 100 companies and organizations.
· A $2.5+ million STEM media campaign to be launched January 29th. Over $2 million in commitments.
· Planning for a K-12 education best practices conference in 2014.
· Growing recognition in Utah that future economic growth depends on aligning education and workforce needs.
· More STEM hands-on, applied learning in the classroom and outside the classroom.
· A blossoming consortium of industry, public education, higher education and lawmakers focused on quality education.
There is still more to do. In 2014, we will work with lawmakers to fund a continuation and expansion of the Digital Learning program and funding for an Endorsement program for educators. We will do more of STE to add to our M work. We need more critical thinkers and problem solvers. In the end, our goal is to help every Utahn understand the importance of a STEM education, help every student learn the language of science, technology, engineering and math and help more students choose STEM related career fields. Our future workforce needs and Utah’s economy depend on it.
As usual some articles to ponder:
Thank you for being a part of this transformational movement in Utah.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
PS – You are welcome to send STEM talk with Stan Lockhart emails to your email lists. I would be happy to add names to our master list as well. A New Year’s resolution: Use social medias