WORKFORCE SERVICES AND COMMUNITY
AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT STANDING COMMITTEE
Rep. Merlynn T. Newbold, Vice Chair
Rep. Cindy Beshear
Rep. Brent H. Goodfellow
Rep. David Litvack
Rep. Carl R. Saunders
Rep. Peggy Wallace
Rep. Bradley A. Winn
MEMBERS ABSENT: Rep. Jeff Alexander
Rep. J. Morgan Philpot
Rep. Martin R. Stephens
STAFF PRESENT: Ms. Jami Momberger, Research Analyst
Ms. Betty M. Bushman, House Secretary
VISITORS: List of visitors filed with committee report
Chair Siddoway called the meeting to order at 3:45 p.m.
MOTION: Representative Newbold moved to approve the minutes of the January 31, 2002 committee meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
S.B. 44 Funding a Community Legal Center (L. Hillyard)
Explained the bill
and distributed a handout: Senator Hillyard
Fraser Nelson, Legal Disability Center
Spoke in support of the bill: Linda Hilton, Coalition of Religious Communities
MOTION: Representative Saunders moved to pass the bill out favorably. The motion passed unanimously, with Representative Goodfellow, Representative Litvack, and Representative Newbold absent for the vote.
H.B. 137 Limited Purpose Local Government Agencies Amendments (D. Peterson)
Introduced a substitute and
explained the bill: Representative Peterson
T. Craig Smith, Nielsen and Senior
MOTION: Representative Saunders moved that 1st Substitute H.B. 137 replace H.B. 137. The motion passed unanimously.
Speaking in opposition to the bill: Heather L. Tritten, Utah Issues
MOTION: Representative Newbold moved to pass the substitute bill out favorably. The motion passed with Representative Beshear, Representative Goodfellow, and Representative Litvack voting no.
H.B. 139 Employment Support Provisions (D. Litvack)
Explained the bill: Representative Litvack
Sarah Brenna, Department of Workforce Services - Legislative Liason
MOTION: Representative Litvack moved to amend the bill as follows:
1. Page 1, Line 18: After "Committee" delete "to assist" and insert "as a subcommittee of"
2. Page 1, Line 20: After "State" delete"Council" and insert "and Regional Councils"
3. Page 1, Line 21: After "of" delete "Employment Development" and insert "Child and Family Services"
4. Page 1, Line 22: After "from the" delete "regional workforce services areas" and insert "Department of Workforce Services"
5. Page 2, Line 45: After "(b)" insert "(i)"
6. Page 2, Line 46: After line 46 insert "(ii) The division shall implement the stop-the -clock recommendations no later than July 1, 2003."
The motion passed unanimously.
MOTION: Representative Goodfellow moved to pass the bill out favorably as amended. The motion passed, with Representative Newbold voting no.
MOTION: Representative Winn moved to adjourn the meeting. The motion passed unanimously.
Chair Siddoway adjourned the meeting at 4:35 p.m.
Rep. Richard M. Siddoway, Chair