Download Zipped Enrolled WP 9 HB0149.ZIP
[Introduced][Status][Bill Documents][Fiscal Note] [Bills Directory]
H.B. 149 Enrolled
This act modifies the State System of Public Education Code by allowing a local board of
education to hire a superintendent with outstanding professional qualifications who does
not hold an administrative/supervisory license.
This act affects sections of Utah Code Annotated 1953 as follows:
53A-3-301, as last amended by Chapter 331, Laws of Utah 2000
Be it enacted by the Legislature of the state of Utah:
Section 1. Section 53A-3-301 is amended to read:
53A-3-301. Superintendent of schools -- Appointment -- Qualifications -- Term --
(1) A local school board shall appoint a district superintendent of schools who serves
as the board's chief executive officer.
(2) (a) The board shall appoint the superintendent on the basis of outstanding
(b) The superintendent's term of office is for two years and until a successor is
appointed and qualified.
(3) If it becomes necessary to appoint an interim superintendent due to a vacancy in the
office of superintendent, then the board shall make an appointment during a public meeting for
an indefinite term not to exceed one year, which term shall end upon the appointment and
qualification of a new superintendent.
(4) (a) The superintendent shall hold an administrative/supervisory license issued by
the State Board of Education, except as otherwise provided in Subsection (4)(b).
(b) A local board of education may request, and the State Board of Education shall
grant, a letter of authorization permitting a person with outstanding professional qualifications
to serve as superintendent without holding an administrative/supervisory license [
(5) The board shall set the superintendent's compensation for services.
(6) The superintendent qualifies for office by taking the constitutional oath of office.
[Bill Documents][Bills Directory]