CLASSROOM SIZE AMENDMENTS
Senate Floor Amendments
Senator Howard A. Stephenson proposes the following amendments:
1. Page 1, Lines 13 through 16 :
13 curriculum course in kindergarten through grade 3, unless a paraprofessional is
14 assigned to the teacher's class for the duration of the core curriculum course;
15 . establishes qualifications for a paraprofessional assigned to a class that exceeds the
16 maximum class size requirement
. provides that a school district or charter school is eligible to receive money appropriated for class size reduction, if the school district or charter school complies with requirements to limit class size in kindergarten through grade 3 or assign a paraprofessional to a class that exceeds the maximum class size.
2. Page 1, Line 21 :
21 Utah Code Sections Affected:
53A-17a-124.5, as last amended by Laws of Utah 2010, Chapter 3
3. Page 2, Line 56 through Page 3, Line 57 :
56 and ability to assist in instructing students in, reading, writing, and mathematics.
53A-17a-124.5 . Appropriation for class size reduction.
(1) Money appropriated to the State Board of Education for class size reduction shall be used to reduce the average class size in kindergarten through the eighth grade in the state's public schools.
(3) (a) A district
(b) (i) Each district
one or all of grades kindergarten through grade
, with an emphasis on improving student
(ii) If a district's
(4) Schools may use nontraditional innovative and creative methods to reduce class sizes with this appropriation and may use part of their allocation to focus on class size reduction for specific groups, such as at risk students, or for specific blocks of time during the school day.
(5) (a) A school district
(b) If a school district's
(6) This appropriation is to supplement any other appropriation made for class size reduction.
Page 1 of 2
LRGC csteffen csteffen