The Concurrent Enrollment program was established to enable high school students to complete high school graduation requirements and earn college credit at the same time. Most often, students participate in the program during their senior year in high school. As college-level courses, concurrent classes provide students the ability to do advanced work during high school. College credits earned through the programs "shall be accepted for transfer of credit purposes as if they had been obtained at any public institution of higher education within the state system" (UCA 53A-15-101).
Statute requires courses to be taught by college or university faculty. Public school educators may also teach concurrent courses if they are approved as an adjunct faculty member at one of the state's colleges or universities.
During the 2007 General Session, the Legislature passed House Bill 79 "Concurrent Enrollment Amendments" which separated concurrent enrollment from the other Accelerated Learning programs. Establishing the Concurrent Enrollment as its own categorical program assists Legislators in tracking appropriations over time and adjusting program funding levels independent of other accelerated learning programs.
In addition to creating a new categorical program, H.B. 79 requires that the annual appropriation for Concurrent Enrollment programs increase each year based on the increase in the value of the WPU. The bill also adjusted the distribution formula for allocating revenues to school districts and higher education institutions.
Formula -- Appropriated revenue is shared between the public and higher education systems. Statute requires that 60 percent of appropriated revenues be allocated to local school districts and charter schools. The remaining 40 percent is allocated to the State Board of Regents for distribution to participating colleges and universities.
During the 2015 General Session, the Legislature appropriated for Fiscal Year 2016, $9,766,700 from all sources for Concurrent Enrollment. This is a 5.4 percent increase from Fiscal Year 2015 revised estimated amounts from all sources. The total includes $9,766,700 from the General/Education Funds, an increase of 5.4 percent from revised Fiscal Year 2015 estimates.
In addition to statewide compensation and internal service fund cost increases, the following appropriation adjustments were made during the 2015 General Session:
The following statutes govern the Concurrent Enrollment Program.
- UCA 53A-15-101 -- details the cooperation between the State Board of Education and the State Board of Regents in providing higher education courses in the public schools.
- UCA 53A-17a-120.5 -- details the distribution of revenue appropriated to support the Concurrent Enrollment program.
The Legislature intends that the State Board of Education review the Pupil Transportation Allocation Formula and recommend ways to improve the formula to increase efficiency, simplify allocation methodology to school districts, and provide incentives for alternative transportation methods. The Legislature further intends that the State Board of Education report its recommendations to the Education Interim Committee and the Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee by October 31, 2015.
HB0002: Item 2
The Legislature intends that the State Board of Education and State Board of Regents provide joint recommendations on how to ensure that each concurrent enrollment course is taught by a qualified instructor, that credits earned by students count towards major and minor degree requirements at state colleges and universities, and that students are advised on the transferability of credits to private and out of state institutions. The Legislature also intends that these recommendations be reported to the Education Interim Committee and the Public Education Appropriations Committee by October 31, 2015.
COBI contains unaudited data as presented to the Legislature by state agencies at the time of publication. For audited financial data see the State of Utah's Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports.